Re: [Gnumed-devel] coding any SOAP item

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] coding any SOAP item
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:45:26 +0200

> As a bill_those_rows table will only display what *has* been flagged,
> the only nagging concern is how to NOT miss billing for things that
> *ought* to be flagged, yet haven't been.
Well, if I have any say (and if we are serious about keeping
GnuMed useful irrespective of the setting), *that* part of
GnuMed will only concern itself with clinical stuff. Other
parts, add-ons, will have to deal with things such as billing,
eg. scan for potential income leaks (but needs some smarts as
to not flag your kids :-)

> A powerful tool for proofing *potential* billable items might allow a
> user to scan (visually discern), from among encounters, what had ben
> flagged from what hadn't. Could such a view be generated by combining
> the encounter/SOAP tables with the bill_those_rows fk, sort of
> "reversing" the fk, or would clin_narrative require a
> fk_bill_those_rows foreign key?
Yes, in all likelihood unless you have something *very* exotic
in mind that can not be done with a *view*. It'd still be
possible, but at the application level.

The reversing is done by one of the join types. However, the
problem lies in teaching the billing logic to understand what
are *potential* items for billing.