Re: [Gnumed-devel] A question re demographics

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] A question re demographics
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:23:45 +1000

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:58, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> I truly think that the task on hand seems to be getting a
> person into GnuMed. For this I think one should first
> concentrate on a widget with the least possible amount of
> chaff, eg. just asking for name/dob/address and done with no
> fancy layout. Just for getting a person *into* the database.
> Rapidly.

Attached the wxg (wxGlade) file of the widget I use in gnumed-mini.
You can look at it by opening it in wxGlade.

As stated before, all of gnumed-mini's UI is designed in wxGlade (separate
files per widget), and no autogenerated code is manually edited - I just
inherit from these autogenerated files and modify the children, so that I can
edit the GUI at will without worrying about the code.

The tabs displayed are mock-up  - haven't got around to do the contents for
them yet - but the first page is functional as it is and allows to enter a
patient's detail in most cases.

A few quirks:
- for speed of entry (no tabbing through multiple fields) the following fields
get parsed:
1) first names: everything after the first space is parsed as middle names and
stored on the backend as middle name
2.) the ugly multiple line field before street no / address has no label: it
allows to enter multiple address lines
3.) all phone/fax fields get parsed in that  anything with a preceding "+"
gets parsed as international prefix until the next space. If no international
prefix, the default prefix derived from the address country is automatically
used.
all phone number entries embraced by brackets () are parsed as area prefix. If
none entered, the prefix is derived from the postcode / state ( for Australia
at least this works)
I found this faster and more "natural" to use than having multiple fields for
international prefix + area prefix + number.

If you have more phone numbers than these, you select the "communications" tab
and can enter as many as you wish.
On the backend, there are of course no entities for phone_home / phone_work,
but phone numbers with references to phone number categories (normalized)

The button "save and activate" makes the patient who's details were just saved
the active one. Just save" does not modify the "active" patient.

I am happy to post the functional code for this widget too, but the
demographic model in gnumed-mini differs a bit from the regular gnumed
backend.

If you separate (as initially intended) demographics as a service, this
shouldn't matter much though.

Horst