Re: [Gnumed-devel] switchable layout managers

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] switchable layout managers
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:09:22 +0200

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 06:25, Ian Haywood wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:51:08 +1000
>
> Horst Herb <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The way mini-gnumed does it:
> > the main screen is divided into a toprow (to area of screen), a
> > notebookarea (left side of screen), an upper and lower toolarea (right
> > side of screen, on top of each other.
> > These areas are separated by resizable borders ("sashes"), the GUI
> > remembers the position of the sashes in it's configuration registry.
>
> This what we plan to do. However we must optionalise all of this via
> pluggable layout managers as some insist on preserving the status quo.
By insiting on the status quo do you mean leaving the layout as it is right
now ? Is there anyone who wants this ? Sometimes it's hard to follow this
discussion.

I thought the plan was to have either tabs or the other layout. But agian I am
afraid I missed something here.

> > Plugins KNOW NOTHING about the program itself. The only common
> > denominator they have is gmDispatcher through which they can register
> > callback functions for events,
>
> How do you direct an event to a specific plugin, for example: now you are
> being shown onscreen (for lazy-loading of backend data)?
>
> > If Richard's layout is implemented as single notebook page, it can have
> > as complex management as it needs to have - as long as it does not
> > directly interact with the main framework or other plugins other than via
> > messages sent through the dispatcher.
>
> This is what we had before and is completely useless.
> Putting Richard's layout (or yours, there's basically the same) *inside* a
> notebook page makes the GUI unusably slow to navigate and destroys the
> benefit of the sidebar.

I still don't completely get it. Anyway. Just in case. I would like to see
either notebooktabs at the bottom or Richard's layout.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany