Re: [Gnumed-devel] switchable layout managers

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] switchable layout managers
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:02:40 +0200

> > The way mini-gnumed does it:
> > the main screen is divided into a toprow (to area of screen), a
> > notebookarea
> > (left side of screen), an upper and lower toolarea (right side of screen,
> > on
> > top of each other.
> > These areas are separated by resizable borders ("sashes"), the GUI
> > remembers
> > the position of the sashes in it's configuration registry.
> This what we plan to do. However we must optionalise all of this via
> pluggable layout managers
> as some insist on preserving the status quo.
No. We don't need to optionalise *all* of this. We only need
to optionalise which inner-frame (spell "layout manager") to
load ! Other than that what's *inside* that layout manager can
be hardcoded for all I care. Heck it even *could* be hardcoded
inside if someone so wants ! This was the idea I had with the
original Richard-space -- why would anyone use an elaborate
framework for Richard space plugins when by all odds all
"plugins" would always be loaded in it anyways ?

> This is what we had before and is completely useless.
> Putting Richard's layout (or yours, there's basically the same) *inside* a
> notebook page makes the GUI unusably slow
> to navigate and destroys the benefit of the sidebar.
Which implies that people want a sidebar. I think that is
*your* design idea - which is fine. More power to you --
inside your layout manager :-)   Again, is this "approved" by
Richard as being "equivalent enough" to Richard space ? Not
that it matters but if not it should be called Ian space
instead (again, which is fine).