Re: [Gnumed-devel] switchable layout managers

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] switchable layout managers
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:25:54 +1000

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:51:08 +1000
Horst Herb <address@hidden> wrote:

> The way mini-gnumed does it:
> the main screen is divided into a toprow (to area of screen), a notebookarea
> (left side of screen), an upper and lower toolarea (right side of screen, on
> top of each other.
> These areas are separated by resizable borders ("sashes"), the GUI remembers
> the position of the sashes in it's configuration registry.
This what we plan to do. However we must optionalise all of this via pluggable
layout managers
as some insist on preserving the status quo.

> Plugins KNOW NOTHING about the program itself. The only common denominator
> they have is gmDispatcher through which they can register callback functions
> for events,
How do you direct an event to a specific plugin, for example: now you are being
shown onscreen
(for lazy-loading of backend data)?

> If Richard's layout is implemented as single notebook page, it can have as
> complex management as it needs to have - as long as it does not directly
> interact with the main framework or other plugins other than via messages
> sent through the dispatcher.
This is what we had before and is completely useless.
Putting Richard's layout (or yours, there's basically the same) *inside* a
notebook page makes the GUI unusably slow
to navigate and destroys the benefit of the sidebar.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E