Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: popups on SOAP

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: popups on SOAP
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:32:58 +0200

> Personally I prefer 1/ although it needs careful thought to strike the
> balance between parseability and readability.
I would suggest: "keyword {val;val;val}" eg. a keyword
followed by " {" followed by ;-separated list of values
corresponding to line values followed by "}" eg.

script {amoxicillin;500mg;Tablets;3x daily for 10 days}

Or actually, for scripts, one should not necessarily be able
to edit past scripts from this ?

Also, when we go down this path of making the layout of free
text significant we are starting to go down the path of making
the grouping of data depend on the widget being used for
input. The end result of this is:

create table clinical (
    pk serial primary key,
    data text
);

and storing formatted narrative.

For getting a bird's view I like Richards previous integrated
look much better where significant data types had their place
on the screen. IOW, I would just drop a text transformation of
whatever the user created by way of a popup into the narrative.
But also drop programmatic versions thereof in the appropriate
tables which populate appropriate lists in other parts of the
screen. If the user decides to *edit* one of those items she
must select it from those lists which would overlay that edit
area onto the SOAP area - mind you, it could be the same code
as the popup.

IMO the most important thing is to not get carried away by the
possibilities and focus on simple things that work and are
understood.