Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: clin_diag

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: clin_diag
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:13:02 +0200

> On Jul 22, 2004, at 9:34 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> >>the episode could only exist if the parent health issue already exists
> >But the health issue may be xxxDEFAULTxxx in which case it is
> >as if it didn't exist since it carries no meaningful extra
> >data.
>
> A health issue of xxxDEFAULTxxx could be left unmodified even while a
> child episode is given a meaningful name,

> However, if the new RFE is for a complaint that relates neither to a
> named health_issue, nor to the episode within xxxDEFAULTxxx, they
> should need to create a new health issue xxxDEFAULTxxx giving two such
> health issues named xxxDEFAULTxxx to have to look at
No, the xxxDEFAULTxxx issue is intended as a catch-all when
the episode hasn't prompted a real health issue yet or when
the practice decides to not work with health issues for the
time being. There should only ever be one (and there can be
only one) per patient. In fact, front desk staff would be
deciding whether the new RFE would relate to an existing
episode or not, they wouldn't be troubled by the health issue
thing, that is totally at the discreetion of the treating
physician IMO. Also, I expect that in many cases there really
is no health issue at hand - just imagine the child that comes
in with the odd cold, the regular shots, etc. etc. but no
underlying issue with the health is ever detected. Agreed, the
child could be on health issue "vaccinations" in addition to
"xxxDEFAULTxxx" but most episodes of/encounters for cough,
fever, runny nose etc. are just that, non-eventful episodes.

> Maybe health_issue of xxxDEFAULTxxx serves two purposes. It allows for
> the issue to be nameless until there is comfort assigning a meaningful
> name.
Yes. The xxxDEFAULTxxx shouldn't be *renamed* but rather the
episodes moved where they belong.

> But it can also serve as a "dock" for a complaint which, once
> sorted out, may be fit for "transplant" to an existing health issue.
Like this.

> In
> this case, the health_issue that was xxxDEFAULTxxx (even it was later
> renamed), if it keeps no linkage to a soAp record / diagnosis
> "is_significant", could drop out of view.
Yep.