Re: [Gnumed-devel] layout managers

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] layout managers
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:40:07 +1000

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:26:24 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ian,
>
> I have factored out the Horst space simple notebook design
> into it's own layout manager panel child class (still living in
> gmGuiMain.py). Please have a look if you have any objections
> or maybe want to do the Richard space manager like that. I
> have taken care not to remove any of the Richard space code
> but I am fairly sure it won't work out of the box. Later on we
> can move the layout managers into their own files
> (gmTerryGuiParts.py comes to mind).
Looks good.
AFAIK cHorstSpaceLayoutMgr would work as a wxNotebook descendant.
Only RichardSpace needs a separate wxPanel wrapper.

> I haven't yet gone down the path of changing the plugin load
> API. I have, however, an EVT_PAINT based data refresh in the
> works.
EVT_PAINT has two shortcomings compared to the current code.
        - widgets can't veto being uncovered. (Personally I don't see this as a
problem, I can cope
with seeing blank fields if no patient is loaded.)
        - no "unpaint" event, so the exposed widget when a patient changes
doesn't know this.
This isn't a factor if we move to the behaviour of Richard's client (where the
demographics
screen comes to the fore automatically to display patient search results,
instead of a popup result window)

I have also been thinking about database installation, maintaining my separate
GUI installer is proving a pain.
Would anyone onject to the client firing up the GUI installer if it finds its
trying to connect to an empty database?

Ian
PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E