Re: [Gnumed-devel] display problem under OS X

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] display problem under OS X
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:12:38 -0700

At 1:47 AM +0200 8/9/04, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
 > >Tell the gnumed people that the window being directly controlled by
 >the sash needs to be, in the sashwindow's OnSize method,
 >manually set.
While it is certainly much appreciated to get input from
others I am not sure how this solution helps with the
wxNotebook display quirks you are(/were ?) having ...

I am only getting close to using some unix tools like grep
Would it be useful to grep for the OnSize method to see where, and to what degree, code may be affected?

I am wondering if the code would require something like
if [osIdentifier] = macos
   ... set the sash "manually"
   ... does this mean hard-coded, or
   ... that the user drags screen objects around
elif etc

Though people would love for the code to *not* require os-specific lines, I wonder there will always be such a need, and how best to handle it. Options?

1) I could add, to the page
http://hherb.com/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Gnumed/OperatingSystemsAndPlatforms

...a stub for OsDependentCoding and within this we could build up a list of any problems to date. We did already recognize an issue with mac from cvs and this makes 2 items so far.

2) is there a smart way of handling such things in the code, for example, for people to be able to test their modules against an inventory of commands, functions etc that are known to be potential problems and to help them determine if any special/multi-os requirements have been covered off?

PS I am back from camping. Suffered only brief (heavy) rain. The main nuisance was having to wait ++ for ferries owing to the campground being 2 islands away.