re: [Gnumed-devel] type of search pattern for demographics

From: sjtan
Subject: re: [Gnumed-devel] type of search pattern for demographics
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:02:12 +1000

Select * from patients where 'firstname like 'pe*' and lastname like 'bl*',
order by id, surname, firstname, street, suburb, postcode, dob. > list> pick
one. Name is plonked in top bar and under the hood the datbase is queried for
all the clinical records for a patient with the unique Id from this query.

look that's just too simple. In these times of intellectual property rights and evergreened patents, we should all be forgetting about the universality of sql and go for some propriety query mechanism; not sure if Xpath falls there.

actually, maybe it is valid to say that sql isn't that universal sometimes : in postgres , the above 'pe*' and 'bl*' becomes 'pe$' and 'bl$' ; also not sure if postgres has a "set ignorecase off"
( I think "ilike"  is a ignore-casing  "like" ) ,
- and  using the "*" field operator in select ,  means the dbapi
cursor.description list object might be needed to extract the field name order, but that's just a nitpick (as is everything else).