Re: [Gnumed-devel] Questions re database schema:street:address:urb:count

From: E Dodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Questions re database schema:street:address:urb:country
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 07:26:20 +1000

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 02:38, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > An urb is definitely defined by urb name and country -> table for urbs
> >
> > A street is definitely defined by urb plus postcode plus street name ->
> > table for streets
> >
> > And address is definitely defined by house number / flat number plus
> > street -> address table
> >
> > There is no place for (sub)urb in the address table if e follow the rules
> > for normalization!
>
> Huh ?!?
>
> Of course there is:
>
> 1) make sure what is *meant* by suburb, eg. "a part of a larger
>    locality, used to be a separate locality however far back
>    in time"
>
> 2) make it an attribute of street since street+urb+postcode
>    definitely defines which suburb we are talking about
>
> Karsten
We definitely have sub-urbs
in our town as well as villages outside the town
we use the town (urb) name and the village name in an address but not the
sub-urb name. They exist on signs and people use them to describe which part
of the town, but there are no overlapping road names within the town....
Liz

--
        "These are DARK TIMES for all mankind's HIGHEST VALUES!"
        "These are DARK TIMES for FREEDOM and PROSPERITY!"