Re: [Gnumed-devel] one more vaccinations detail

From: E Dodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] one more vaccinations detail
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:10:59 +1000

On Sunday 12 September 2004 01:57, Hilmar Berger wrote:
 (why do we booster tetanus, then ?).

because we always have.
I can't give a reference, but the US Veterans' Administration hasn't paid for
the hospital care of one case of tetanus. All new recruits had 3 shots (from
as long ago as more than 60 years). Since then, regardless of whether the
discharged veteran had 5 yearly boosters or 10 yearly boosters or none, none
of them got tetanus.
They announced this when the time period was 50 years so it's old news.
Our tetanus infections in australia occur in older women, who have never had
one shot. Usually in a lifetime a male has enough injuries to get more than
one or two shots.
So when I graduated we gave booster tetanus each 5 years, then every ten
years, and now at 15 years of age and 50 years of age.
A lot of these things are really interesting to research....
Liz

--
Iron Law of Distribution:
        Them that has, gets.