Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics editor

From: scaredycat
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics editor
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:40:54 +1000

Next problem is time. Having to load another client, just because you want to
look up a different patients address is a pain in the bum
I fully agree. That is why I have 4 clients running right from
the beginning of the clinic. I never had to meaningfully deal
with more than 4 patients at a time. If I did I would've done
something wrong.

the tabbed patient idea is not too much different from multiple clients or multiple child windows in a MDI frame , just that it's arguably easier to find the button to switch the patient. You could also limit the number of patient tabs, like the sensible practice of opening up 4 client windows and making sure you're never tempted to open up anymore.

If a patient panel inside a tab is a view on a particular patient object/model , either having a reference to the patient object or the id of the patient, it shouldn't be a problem, even with the current signalling mechanism to notify the right tab if the signal carries the id of the patient. And if signalling was per patient, as in model-view / listener / observer pattern, it would remove
the id test.

In a webapp , if each tab is a separate form with a readonly field with an id value specifying the patient, I think it would still work. OTOH, it's probably not applicable, because some browsers allow multiple windows as tabs and others don't, and this is
transparent to the application.

compared to a single click on another tab etc.