Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics editor

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics editor
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:25:32 +1000

To explain in a clearer manner regarding  the integration of the gui-stuff.

Case1:

You have loaded a patient. You wish to see more details, so you flick to the
demographics tab - his data has been loaded in the background and is all
present.

Case 2

You have loaded a patient. His clinical record is in the program. You need to
look up patient B's demographic records because someone is on the phone
asking about them.

Hence you have to be able to search for them. You click on the search button
on the demographic toolbar which is imported when you load up gmDemographics,
it clears all the fields. You are after Peter Smith. You can type in the
surname field smith, or say smith in surname, and peter in firstname, and
click the find button again - up will come all the peter smiths - you load
his details.

Now you have a situation with both patient A and Patient B''s records in the
same space - could be somewhat confusing.

Plus this method of searching, though great if you wanted to pull out all the
peters, who lived in a particular postcode whose occupation was a soldier, is
slower than having a dedicated search textbox (one of course needs both).

That's why I prefer demographics to be separate from the client - at least on
its own full screen panel.

In regards to a previous comment you made about how I stated I felt it
important to always have the patients details visible at the top of the
screen - ie contextural (plus the tabbed lists + scratch pad + reviews -
which BTW are in hibernation), I do, however what I don't beleive is ok, is
to have visual 'cross fertilisation' with other peoples records.

Anyway, Hope this explains.

Thanks

Richard