Re: [Gnumed-devel] basic test types

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] basic test types
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:20:35 -0700

Maybe I have found what separated us...

We were going on the basis that when a test_org's test_type is first imported into the test_type table (<deity> forbid we have to enter all these by hand!) , it may as well default its conversion_unit into whatever the lab had provided, because there would be no other/better/reliable way by which to guess or decide what it should be - that is, unless we build an extra reference table in which to store the desired conversion_unit per combination of (cod, coding_system).

Next, precisely because, as you say,
for each and every row in test_type that represents the
same clinical test (eg. various types of blood glucose) the
conversion_unit should be the *same* !

then an extra user step may have to be taken to make conversion_unit the same after an import caused them to be different:

 > > FK_TEST_ORG/ CONVERSION_UNIT /   CODE  / CODING_SYSTEM / NAME
 >    6       /       mmol/L    / 14769-4 / LOINC         / GLUCOSE, FASTING
 >    7       /       mg/dL     / 14769-4 / LOINC         / GLUCOSE, FASTING
 >    8       /       mg/dL     / 14769-4 / LOINC         / GLUCOSE, FASTING

 So here a user would decide "for fk_test_org (lab) 7, code 14769-4,
 > LOINC" I want that expressed in mmol/L.

above, I did not mean that the actual result being transferred/written/imported into test_result needs to have its value altered, IMO you would never want to distort the original copy of the raw data.