Re: [Gnumed-devel] basic test types - Sample type prefixes

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] basic test types - Sample type prefixes
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 07:43:11 -0700

At 8:18 PM +1000 10/7/04, E Dodd wrote:
On Thursday 07 October 2004 09:48, J Busser wrote:
 A regional lab sent out notice that it will incorporate into test
 results internationally recognized preixes to denote sample types:

 > B- Blood
 > P- Plasma
 > S- Serum
 > etc

One of our labs has just changed codes so
E = electrolytes
PR = Pap smear / cervical cytology
which I have found hard to get used to

Complicating matters - but at some point something we may want to factor into design - is that the labs often use a different set of codes by which to ORDER tests as opposed to codes by which to REPORT results. Among other reasons, a single order code can designate multiple tests whereas that single code would be a clumsy way by which to manipulate/search results. Also there are some tests which although you may order a single test (for example serum iron saturation), I think the lab must do a pair of tests (transferrin and iron) and even if that is wrong there are other situations where they must do a "ghost test" (my term) in order to generate a result.