Re: [Gnumed-devel] clin_medication

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clin_medication
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:12:58 -0400

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 09:00:27AM +1000, scaredycat wrote:

> >However, this needs to be discussed and decided *BEFORE*
> >changing (it can be changed if there is good reason !)
> >because we have LIVE INSTALLATIONS of this out there.
> >
> on this vein, just for 0.1 development purposes, the constraints on
> clin_medication (amount_unit, and drug_form) don't match drugref
> similiar type tables, and the constraints in clin_medication also
> requires dose and period ( not null), but directions is optional.
There're not supposed to: there's no guaratee that drugref will be the
drug database used.

Having said that, clin_medication is not a finished product, it needs
more work.
> I don't know if it is a good idea to convert mg to g dose units or have
> tds be a period in seconds , and leaving it to the application
> to convert back to presentation strings when reading clin_medication
> later. (on the other hand, if the vote is that this makes things better
> later, then work proceeds).
I vote for frequency as a number in hours, this covers hourly eye drops
to weekly bisphosphonates.
> The drugref forms have quite a lot of forms that have no correspondence
> in the constraints of clin_medication.
clin_medication can have more forms.
There extent to which clin_medication has to replicate a drug database
to store script information is an open question.