Re: [Gnumed-devel] clin_medication

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clin_medication
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:39:51 -0700

At 7:12 AM +0200 10/16/04, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
 > SR denotes "slow release". A more general case of CR (controlled
 release), which encompasses "slow release", has relevance because if
 it is controlled-release, it is specially-formulated and thus the
 tablet or capsule (usually but not always) cannot/should not be
 split, otherwise the release is disturbed. I think this is a main
 value of bothering to record that there is something "special" about
 a particular drug form, the other value would be that SR is typically
 given less often than the "regular" form, but you cannot tell just
 from the "SR" label, it might be only once a day, or it might be more
 often (e.g. some l-dopa/carbidopa).
I wasn't sure we need this in this table but it seems so.

I am not sure I am proposing an "extra" field, I am wondering whether is_CR would be a more generally useful case than is_SR therefore to use is_CR *instead of* is_SR