Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics widget and search results

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics widget and search results
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:49:01 +0200

> Please have a look at Richard's new design for the demographics widget.
OK, not much changed for the last few weeks ?

> A big problem is that it has a listbox at the box;
Richard thought that is one of it's strengths. Syan putting
top and bottom in a sash window is a nice extension IMO.
Whether the auto-resize-on-hover idea gains approval is
another matter. I guess Richard needs to look at that.

> this is because
> in Richard's client this is where search results appear (Horst's too).
> However currently we use a popup for the search result.
>
> Personally I prefer Richard's way as it lets you quickly view
> demographics data before loading the patient
Are you referring to the demographics data that is in the top
list or that which might be displayed in the bottom fields
below the list ? The former is done by the popup, too, and
*what* is shown there is even configurable. If you are
referring to the fields below Richard's list then, no, it
currently does not allow pre-viewing demographics. For that,
the demographics widget would need to break the rule of acting
only on the active patient. Which may or may not be sensible and
I am not strictly opposed to doing so.

I did state a while back that I could certainly live with
dropping the popup and using Richard's list only - IF that
list retains the functionality of the popup, eg. allowing the
user to select from a list of previously read patient chip
cards etc. Also, dropping the popup and adopting the list
would mean to auto-raise the demographics plugin on
multiple-patients-found. Which seems OK to me.

> If no-one objects, I will take out this listbox (again, I did it
> on Richard's previous version for the same reason, sigh)
Well, he put it in and claimed it served it's purpose quite
well. But yes, we must decide on any one of the two.