Re: [Gnumed-devel] clin_medication

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clin_medication
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:14:49 +0200

> However, by "Where", is Ian seeking further discussion on drug
> databases? How is the database schema from drugref and other
> potential references best examined (without "installing")?
I usually just read the schema.

> Also I found a drug database hat has been open sourced. How many
> options do we now have to choose from?
> http://www.e-mds.com/emds/prodserv/drugdb.html
Well, the problem of drug databases isn't their schema. Any
schema can have a driver written for it. The problem lies with
the content. And with having some mechanism to ascertain
oneself of the reliability of the content.

> >Jim will have something to say on how to best name that field.
> Um... should there develop any sentiment that I say too much (or
> too little useful) about naming - not that I assume it's what was
> meant above - let me know and/or just shoot me  :^)
a) careful, the latest seminar I attended was on handling
   handheld firearms
b) we adopted quite a few of your suggestions and given my
   recalcitrant attitude this speaks for itself

> If is_CR (controlled release) adequately serves to indicate a
> "special formulation" we can leave it this way.
I think so.

> I feel as if it would
> be overkill to split into two fields one (is_CR) to denote *only*
yes, overkill

> "special onset or duration of effect" and a separate one
> (is_special_formulation) to denote "special formulation other than
> pharmacokinetic e.g. tastes better".
for *that* we also already have "adjuvant" which may contain
such things as "orange-flavoured"

> If there is agreement on using one field, I  am open to is_CR or
> is_SF or is_special_formulation.
Maybe some more clinicians can chip in and list a few more
"special formulation" possibilities beyond

slow release
fast release
gastric acid protected

so we can decide whether the field needs a better name ?