[Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed Debian packaging lagging behind...

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed Debian packaging lagging behind...
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 07:31:04 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Alessandro Amici wrote:

ok, other things i hit (in random order):
- bootstrap-gm_db_system want the conf into /etc not /etc/gnumed
- bootstrap-gm_db_system.conf needs the service 'reference'
General statement regarding to the server packages: Currently a new policy
about database applications in Debian is in preparation.  Thus I will wait
for some days to let this settle down to be able to follow these guidelines.

- /etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf looks for the local db 'gnumed', should be
'gnumed-test'
Fixed (at least at my local disc - will be published later today).

- /etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf by defaults connects to an outside server (!!)
This is intentionally because the local server does not yet work.  There
are problems in the connection I have to track down in the next couple of
days.

- on a fresh postgres install the pg_hba.conf modifications didn't work for
me. i needed to set 'local all all trust' (mm... not sure if this is really
independent by the gnumed-gnumed-test problem)
We should take this very serious.  Could you please describe in detail what
did not work.  Please try to start from an unchanged /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
and report what happens after installing the server package.  I observed the
very strange effect that installing the server package the first time it hangs
when installing the database.  YOu have to press <Ctrl-C> to stop this.
The postgresql log shows something like

   >>Password<<-Authentification of user >>gm-dbowner<< failed

strangely enough if you try the next "dpkg -i gnumed-server*.deb" it works
perfectly.  I have to track down this.

- test accounts are not uploaded during bootstrap
- the any-doc user does not exists even after 'psql gnumed-test <
gmTestAccounts.sql'
I have to check this.

and i still cannot log in :-/. error is:

2004-10-25 16:09:25 [WARN]
(/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG.py:address@hidden):
query >>>select name from distributed_db<<< with args
>>>()<<< failed
2004-10-25 16:09:25 [WARN]
(/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG.py:address@hidden):
exception type : libpq.OperationalError
2004-10-25 16:09:25 [WARN]
(/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG.py:address@hidden):
exception value: ERROR:  permission denied for relati
on distributed_db
2004-10-25 16:09:25 [ERROR]
(/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Gnumed/wxpython/gmGuiHelpers.py:address@hidden):
Unable to connect to database:  cannot loa
d service names from configuration database  Please retry or cancel !
Karsten mentioned to solve this kind of problems by using the redo-*.sh scripts.

I wonder if what should be the best approach here.
  1) Use bootstrap-* for the first install and redo-* if you recognize a
     formaerly installed system?
  2) Use redo-* in any case

Furthermore I overworked the packaging in this way that it now should be
possible
without any problem to obtain the CVS tree and just copy the debian directory
which is avialable at

    http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/gnumed/

inside this tree.  It should also cope with renamed or newly created files
in the source tree.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--