[Gnumed-devel] Invoking pop-ups - RT Comments

From: Richard Terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Invoking pop-ups - RT Comments
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:54:04 +1100

snip....

> > Can I have it clarified/updated how the in-line popups are intended
> > to work?
>
> I personally think they should be auto-invoked when keywords
> are typed. Eg. if I type "famhx" the family history edit area
> will pop up. Of course, everyone and her cat will want
> different keywords (let alone other languages) so, yes, we
> will have some built-in default but we will allow to configure
> those keywords. I do think, however, that we need to have some
> way of invoking those popups via some function key, too. Eg.
> Hit <ALT-something> to pop up a list of edit areas one can
> chose from to input data into.

Hey,  I Totally agree with this ie popup(x) but short eg fhx phx alx Rx rqx,
refx etc plus user configerable and keyboard shortcut

> I would not like that approach. If I want to input two
> vaccinations I should have to type the invoking keyword twice.
> Alternatively one could have a button "next" on the popup that
> dumps the content into the soap widget and clears the popup
> for input of a new item. Richard, do you think that is useful
> design ?

That is precisely how my system operates, see the png attached for my FH edit
area which I have attatched below.

> > the user is returned to the SOAP, able to see a formatted
> > representation "link" within the SOAP?
>
> Yes. My initial proposal is to format the links like this, eg:
> "[:vacc:Tetasorbat SSW:]" where the part between the :'s is
> used as the key into the additional data dict during parsing
> later on.

Totally agree.

> > Is it established yet whether
> > such formatted representations *behave* as links and so, if clicked,
> > would transfer the user to the linked widget / editing area, where
> > the additional detail could be inspected, and audited if required?

This is exactly how they should behave. This should occur either from within
the SOAP notes OR, once the SOAP notes have been saved to the consultation
summary list (If I can persuade you guys of the concept) or if modifying past
history (with audit of course).

> This is certainly doable but I would probably refrain from
> doing so for the time being (due to ease of coding). That
> functionality can be added fairly easily and cleanly later on.

Don't refrain - this is necessary for day to day use now, otherwise the
program cannot be used. This is basic programming. You must always be able to
create/save/change(edit)/delete.