Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Latest progress with you SOAP stuff-CATCH22

From: catmat
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Latest progress with you SOAP stuff-CATCH22
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:16:38 +1100

Ian Haywood wrote:

Richard Terry wrote:

Once again a complete failure:

Dieses Skript installiert Daten in ein GnuMed-Datenbanksystem,
mit denen GnuMed für Deutschland angepaßt wird.

Do you really want to install this database setup ?
Type yes or no: no

Seems obvious, but remember Karsten wrote all the test data, which
depends on the German files. You and I must load *both* the Australian
*and* the German data to load the tests. And you need the test-data to
login as Dr. Jim "Bones" McCoy.

wrt to alternate bootstrapping,
in test-area/cygwin/ there was a missing conf file for loading the test data
(some reason, I had to do another conf file ,just for the test-data).

Questions for the list:
- without at least one real identity, gnumed is useless, as it insists
(rightly) that all system users be linked to a flesh-and-blood identity.
How then can we ever then bootstrap real systems?

? have a real user pre-install form to fill , that creates the admin identity sql script.

I propose a special "admin" client that logs in as gm_dbowner and can
create other users.

    - we desperately need to overhaul the bootstrapping experience.
The Debian guys are doing interesting work
[http://people.debian.org/~seanius/policy/dbconfig-common.html]
however using this functionality intersects with about 50% of our
current bootstrapper.

Ian

needs investigating and reading

This is for Richard:

My installation of postgres is not scripted to start in /etc/init.d as it was installed from a downloaded postgres.tar.gz from the postgres.org and installed using make, make install. I had to do this mainly because mandrake 10.1 is not supplied with plpgsql language support, but also because I like knowing what
the postgres user's password is.

wrt to alternate bootstrapping,
in test-area/cygwin/ there was a missing conf file for loading the test data
(some reason, I had to do another conf file ,just for the test-data).

I tried pg_dumpall to save the current postgres conf and deleting my postgres data directory to do a complete clean install , after
stopping the postmaster.
The process was:
1. su postgres, stop the postmaster ( if this isn't done, then the postmaster needs to be manually killed later)
    a) pg_ctl stop -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
   or
     b) ps -A   | grep postmaster
      kill  xxxxx  where xxxx is the PID of the postmaster

2. rm -fr /var/lib/pgsql/data

3. mkdir /var/lib/pgsql/data

4. initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

5. edit /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf and change #tcpip_socket tcpip_socket=true

echo ,s/tcpip_socket.*/tcpip_socket=true/g | ed /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf

this pipes  the command  ",s/tcpip_socket.*/tcpip_socket=true/g" to ed ,
which tells it to change any line matching the regex expression tcpip_socket.* into tcpip_socket=true.

(Do "man ed" to find out about how to use ed. If you know vi, then ed is straightforward )

6.  The default /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf

     created by initdb is sufficient. It allows access to

all users on local unix sockets on a trust basis, and tcp users need to login with passwords (md5 hashed)

tail -n8  /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        IP-ADDRESS        IP-MASK           METHOD

local   all         all                                             trust
# IPv4-style local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   md5
# IPv6-style local connections:
host all all ::1 ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff trust

7. A final step is to change the postgres user's password to a known password.

psql template1
alter user "postgres" password 'pass'; \q

Step 7 means that you shouldn't have to become root , just connect as the postgres user , so it is straightforward to run bash install scripts such as test-area/cygwin/install_schema.sh without
having to su to root.

Ian's point about using a well known install tool is good.
Anyone know how to use it?