Re: [Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] how to configure gnumed to use not just "lo

From: Thilo Schuler
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] how to configure gnumed to use not just "localhost"]
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:37:08 +1100

catmat wrote:

hello catman,

this sounds very promising. i am a german med student but on annual leave in sydney to work on a openEHR project (and live with my girlfriend ;)).

i have been at the german gnumed conference last december and this is actually where Karsten brought up the idea to go to AU and work with the openEHR guys. as he thinks about supporting this interoperable approach in the future.

i didn't get involved in gnumed at that time but i consider it the most promising open source initiative for small practices and i want to contribute at some point in time. maybe with my openEHR knowledge.

the project deals about building a GUI generator that is based on archteypes (openEHR's formal expressions for medical concepts). i am considering XUL (mozilla's markup GUI markup language) as the format of the generated interfaces.

These XUL interfaces depend on mozilla's gecko rendering engine and can be run directly from the web and as a browser extension. They could be brought to life with web services. this is important to me because it would be desirable to have a proof of concept.

maybe there is a chance - like you suggested - to use the existing gnumed's backend.

i talked to richard terry yesterday and i will drive up to newcastle next week to chat about GUIs and stuff. i will also contact karsten in that matter.

where abouts do you live. sounds very interesting what you did. maybe i can call you or we could even meet sometime.

cheers, thilo

Where abouts in Sydney , and who are you doing the project with ? Is the project open for collaboration with overtly open source projects
such as gnumed ?

I live relatively close to the CBD (McMahons Pt).

I am doing the generator project with Sebstian Garde (a Postdoc from Central Queensland University http://infocom.cqu.edu.au/hi). Sam Heard one of the main persons behind openEHR is also involved.

Yes the project is going to be open source thoroughly as openEHR, Sebastian and I believe strongly in OSS concept.

I will shortly tell you a little bit about myself. I have done three years of medicine in Freiburg, Germany and will finish the six years degree after I return from Sydney in Oct 05. I had always had an interest in informatics too. Since German physicians don't get an MD title automatically with the their degree a lot of them do a thesis. I used this as a chance to combine my interests in medicine and IT.

I live in Melbourne. How do you find openEHR and XUL? What are the issues you've found with trying to build a gui generator
for openEHR?

We haven't started implementing the generator. Still in the planing phase (use-cases, technologies, talks with experts). I know the openEHR initiative for more than a year now and I think it is on the edge of establishing itself as a acknowledged architecture in the health informatics world (CEN standards, Health Connect Brisbane Trial). I think the basic openEHR concept (two model architecture) is really powerfull and could be a big toward interoperability of EHRs. This approach separates clinical knowledge (distinct, shareable archetypes) and information (based on a generic, stable information model). I am not sure about XUL. I have preliminarly chosen it because it provides a standard based (XML) framework to express the presentation layer. Because of the just in time compilation through mozilla's gecko engine it is plattform independent. And since the free mozilla suite (the whole mozilla browser is built with XUL) is fairly widespread there is a mininmal need to install additonal programs. Their is also a freely available o'reilly book this framework (http://books.mozdev.org/) Their are some impressive clients (http://www.faser.net/mab/remote.cfm; open with mozilla >= V1.7) that can be both be run off the web or locally.

Sorry if I sound a bit guarded, I sort of trust gnumedders more easily, when they make significant contributions such as code, critiques, requirement specification, requirements exploration, artwork. But it would be good if someone who knew openEHR well , joined the gnumed project !

I know that Gnumed has a very sophisticated back-end and I would like to do a proof-of-concept i.e. a GUI in use (I am working at a dr. office where such a test could be run). I playing with the thought of building a couple of archetypes&templates that fit a subset of the Gnumeds backend structure. The generated XUL interface could then be hooked to the gnumed backend through web services (maybe wrapper for middleware?). These are just mind games. Our emails and the the meeting with richard are steps to explore them.

Regards, Thilo

@catman: Do you use VoIP? I am "the_real_tealow" in skype.