Re: [Gnumed-devel] Time for a major re-think in 2005 - opinions please.

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Time for a major re-think in 2005 - opinions please.
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:04:25 +1100

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Actually, *real* progress has only accelerated starting in
early 2004 if you ask me. T
I agree, it was only at this point that the middleware "foundations"
became solid enough to work on higher features.

I regard a working prototype (by which I mean something which has the minimum set of essential features - and defining that minimum set is an essential and early task in itself)
I suppose a distinction is needed between 0.1 ("demonstration of technology")
and 1.0 ("you can burn your Medical Director licence now")
In Australia 1.0 requirements are huge (e.g. it includes billing), it will take
a few more years

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2003-06/msg00045.html
Thanks for bringing this back up: we can see we are getting close.
Apropos of 5) Richard wrote a MIMS browser, using an old version of the
database. AFAIK Horst has implemented this again more recently. (are you able
to contribute this, Horst?)
However this development is difficult because of the highly proprietary nature
of MIMS,
I am unable to participiate due to its very high licensing cost, however
I am able to write a drug info browser for the AMH [Australian Medicines Handbook]
"E-CD"
which is "open" in the sense its based on HTML and PHP, and so I can understand
the structure more easily.

Horst herb wrote:
> ... except if you require weird window manager magic which to you is
> appealing, but I cannot cope with a user interface where I don't see all
You are referring to be clinical window manager, which has been junked.
Now Richard is keen on new notebook manangers in wx 2.5
I agree with Richard on this point: wx2.5 has made it into Debian sarge, so
IMHO the
rationale for sticking with 2.4 is fast disappearing.
Remember gnumed works on 2.5 *now*, we don't need to change any code, the
question is when to we allow
use of 2.5-only features to creep in.

Ian