Re: [Gnumed-devel] Time for a major re-think in 2005 - opinions please.

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Time for a major re-think in 2005 - opinions please.
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:49:09 +0100

Hi Thilo

> but I still think a few lines could demonstrate what my
> "problems" were when I approached Gnumed.
Yes.

> I also want to let you know that I recently visited Richard.
> And I have
> -including commercial solutions- seldomly seen such a tidy, well thought
> through and functional interface. He has achieved that by many design
> iterations which he actually tests durning real-live consultations. This
> is a very valuable asset.
No question on that.

> Please don't think I am now biased towards his point of view.
Even if you were - no problem.

> While we
> were talking we discovered agreement on several issues regarding the
> governace and appearance of Gnumed.
Would you mind sharing them as in

1) ...
2) ...

?

> What I really missed was a consistend, self-explaining structure of the
> web site
Feel free to improve.

> and a couple of summarizing (white paper like) documents that
> explained what, why, and (maybe -but not necessarily- the basics of) how
If you start asking me/us for explanations today I will start
providing answers today. From which you could write the docs
that are missing.

> things have been done. I have found some docs here and there (mainly
> from richard and horst) but most of them seemed outdated
Feel free to gather all the docs you can find, write better
ones and request take-down of the older ones. I don't think
anyone will object to them being taken down and the new ones
posted.

> It is especially important since if you ever get the client to
> run (takes considerable effort if you aren't the total geek) it is far
> away from being self-explainatory.
Feel free to improve the install docs. Also feel free to
suggest how we can make the client more self-explanatory at
its current state.

> But it should be CONSCIOUSLY SET TIME ASIDE TO DOCUMENT AND PRESENT WHAT
> HAS BEEN ACHIEVED every now and then
The simple question is: By whom ?

> (a formal plan or roadmap for writing white papers, howtos,... has to be
> adapted)
Well, suggest a plan. Suggest where to put them. Suggest what
other docs to retire.

> even the "everyday working wiki" is not structured enough
Feel free to propose/restructure. It's a Wiki.

Now, I completely understand that everyone sets her priorities
as one sets her priorities. However, on the battlefield I don't
whine about other people not digging a hole for me. I start
digging to get my ass covered. If I find a way to improve
other people's approaches to digging holes - fine. If I
survive within the hole I dug people have a chance to listen
to me after the fact. New holes will be dug better thanks to
my discoveries. But I need to dig a hole first. Later on
people will find a few holes being dug for general use
already. But apparently we don't have those holes yet so
someone must start digging them.

> I am telling you that in the awareness of the fact that gnumed is
> lacking of contributors (especially documentators) and I very much like
> the way how Jim has been doing so far. I would like to join him as a
> documentator.
You have my heartiest welcome. I offer any help I can give.

> I thought while I am trying to build a XUL front end for
> Gnumed (as proof-of-concept part of my thesis on openEHR
> archetypes-based interfaces) I could write some documents.
Feel free to fire any questions my way.

> What happend to the plans to refurbish gnumed.org?
Few people *worked* on them. No one followed through.