Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1 (was Time for a major r

From: catmat
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1 (was Time for a major re-think in 2005)
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:16:29 +1100

catmat wrote:

Ian Haywood wrote:

Use the python HTTP server classes instead to allow persistent objects.

Ian

How does gmCurrentPatient work? Can you switch between previously loaded current patients without reloading them again? ( re. for having a single server work for multiple users)

this question brought up an interesting behaviour on the java web client. If I open a mozilla browser, and open Kirk's clinical record, and then create another tab in the same browser, and open up TestWoman's record, when I click printable record for Kirk's record, I see TestWoman's record.

On the other hand, if I start instance of mozilla browser with a different profile, and open up Kirk's record again, and I click printable record on the second browser, I see Kirk's printable record, but the first browser will still have TestWoman's printable record, for both Kirk's and TestWoman's.

It looks like struts session management, or the webapp's use of it, can't distinguish requests from different tabs from the same instance of a browser, but can distinguish requests if a different
instance ( with a different profile) is used.

So the idea of using one browser with multiple tabs to open up multiple patients at the same time won't work at the moment.

I think the problem was the persistent patient objects are in Struts session scope, which is per browser profile, instead, of request scope, which is per page .