Re: [Gnumed-devel] request for input on wiki newbie guide and more

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] request for input on wiki newbie guide and more
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:15:15 +0100

> They should be given information about the difficulty with the gnumed
> client connecting to a local postgres server, on which I am not
> clear.
GnuMed has no difficulty whatsoever connecting to a locally
running PostgreSQL server. The apparent difficulty lies in the
fact that PostgreSQL is very versatile in the ways it can be
configured to accept user authentication each of which with
their own requirements for working properly. What adds to the
confusion is that different people have different opinions as
to what the preferred local authentication method *should* be.

To make a long story short: Configure your PostgreSQL server
properly and GnuMed will happily connect to any server it can
reach anywhere in the world. It is an administration problem
in front of the keyboard. Picking and configuring the proper
authentication method may be hard. So is picking and
administering the proper treatment for a given patient.

> Is it a limitation of the debian installer
Debian has one opinion on what authentication should be used
locally. This choice does create a little more involvement for
GnuMed Debian installer writers. Nothing unsolvable, though.

There is no simple phrase to put down in the Wiki that solves
this once and for all. It is a matter of choice.