[Gnumed-devel] Re: lab data fetcher/importer connection methods

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: lab data fetcher/importer connection methods
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:05:31 +0100

> What method(s) for connection and data transfer are in use in Germany
> and Australia?
In Germany you connect to the lab's "mailbox" by modem. The
protocol to download the data is entirely arbitrary and
different from lab to lab. Some use zmodem and it's ilk some
use simply pushing a stream of bytes with no error handling
whatsoever.

> In British Columbia (Canada) it appears there are at least two
> methods. One data clearinghouse requires SSL VPN connections to their
> repository (?) which the customer queries (details yet to come).
Sounds a bit involved by really doable. The hinted-at
complexity underscores my point that such things should be
done outside the client proper by, preferably, existing OSS
solutions.

> The other data clearinghouse provides a mailbox system in which
> discrete files are picked up via sftp using a Windows (only, Visual
> Basic) client provided by the clearinghouse. They advise me they
> would be willing to have a clinic's (non-Windows) server connect but
> that they would require the clinic server to run an sftp daemon so
> that the clearinghouse would push (?) the files onto the clinic
> server.
Entirely stupid why they would want to do it this way around
but no problem for Linux to provide an sftp server.