Re: [Gnumed-devel] [Fwd: [GPCG_TALK] FreeMED demo]

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] [Fwd: [GPCG_TALK] FreeMED demo]
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:47:18 +1100

Richard Terry wrote:
> Personally I don't think I could run a surgery on that type of interface. The
> paucity of contextural information combined with the huge number of clicks
> needed to be constantly going to where one wants would be a killer.

Yes, I agree, although it would be OK for doing some quick notes or
results checking from a nursing home or home or a friend's place or from
a 3G mobile connection or from the local Internet-enabled cafe etc (the
latter would need two-part authentication to be safe enough...)

> Bring on gnuMed.

Yes indeed. My brief review of demos of existing open source EMRs
convinces me that the world still desperately needs an open source EMR
with a well-designed GUI, a properly normalised back-end and
well-thought-out midleware, and all written in a sane programming
language - in other words, GnuMed. I think that Gnumed needs a Web
interface, and that could proceed in parallel, but its the GUI interface
which will be the distinguishing feature as far as prospective users are
concerned.

We are serious about raising money to "finish" GnuMed and roll it out
along the lines of the Malaysian model (I'll forward that message to
this list presently).

However, stay calm, and let Sebastian decide what goes into version 0.1,
which will be an important milestone, but as Ian points out, far from
the end of Gnumed development. If funding can be arranged, then
RichardSpace or some adaption of it is likely to be in version 0.2 which
might follow sooner rather than later.

Tim C