Re: [Gnumed-devel] Drugref & the PDAs (?)

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Drugref & the PDAs (?)
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:25:48 -0700

At 12:44 AM -0400 6/18/05, Michael Bonert wrote:
Has there been any consideration to make a (stand-alone) PDA version of drug ref?

For now, Lexi-Comp (commercial) is available to Canadian Medical Association members (including students) through the CMA web site. This product offers the advantage of listing those drugs available in Canada (whether or not available in the US), also Canadian trade names, and does not track or report your usage.

A PDA application would require an appropriate database and user interface. Maybe people can advise if there exists an open source PDA software suitable to sync with Postgres. But anyone who would seriously consider going to this trouble would probably want to more generally consider it as a component of a PDA-based EMR-lite. There exists an open source project in British Columbia aiming to permit a group of GPs to input and share electronic summaries of their "frequent flier" (high-morbidity) patients in a mobile fashion while on-call. That project uses Palm Treos and the Palm OS.

More generally I have been wondering what are the limits to what we would WANT drugref to do.

In British Columbia we have a provincial system "PharmaNet" by which doctors *could* gain read-only access to a list of prescriptions that patients have had filled.

Right now we have an impediment to rolling this out, on account of licensing problems with First Data Bank through which I believe PharmaNet gets its monograph and drug interaction information.

So I was wondering... even if drugref *did* accumulate sufficient monographs to become a first-choice for some monograph info (and does anyone know whether the American Hospital Pharmacists' Formulary info is known to be biased?) --- would drugref's contributors truly wish to maintain their own drug interaction database? Drug interaction databases are things that I would imagine are very tedious to maintain. Also I expect there to be less bias in the production and maintenance of this information than, say, manufacturers' claims of drug effectiveness.