Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed forms printing

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed forms printing
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:35:32 +0200

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 07:05:17PM +1000, Ian Haywood wrote:

> > possible solutions:
> > - use LATEX for forms, create ps-files, feed them to the printer
> > --> LATEX forms are hard to build and maintain ?
> It's possible to use a simple extension to LaTeX which makes fixed-position
> forms fairly easy, look under gnumed/test-area/ian

I do think we should be using that code in our forms eventually.

My suggestion would be (requires a bit of effort):

- write Cheetah templates for the forms
- process them in GNUmed (fill placeholders, that is)
- transform them to LaTeX using Ian's fixed position extension
- generate PDFs from it
- use the wxPython framework to send that PDF to a printer

The result is that we could be maintaining form templates
independant of the code proper.