Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gentoo ebuild done

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gentoo ebuild done
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:08:11 +0200

On Friday 21 July 2006 00:50, David Grant wrote:
> On 7/19/06, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > that's interesting news !  Didn't know it was still around
> > and people are taking care of it. Is there any way to know
> > whether anyone installed it ?
>
> Not that I know of. There used to be a website called
> gentoo-statistics.com or something but the guy who was running it shut
> it down. It would collect statistics from gentoo users about what
> packages they had installed. It was only a sampling of users though.
>
> > > Click on the .ebuild file and look at it if you are curious. Notice how
> > > simple it is compared to debian.
> >
> > "apt-get install gnumed-client" seems just as simple
>
> Well I was referring to the simplicity of the package itself. Compare
> the ebuild file to a debian deb package.
>
> > > If gnumed actually used distutils,
> >
> > I don't see how it can as it is not simply a "Python add-on".
I have only limited experience with distutils. One way is to put everything in
python/site-packages

This is a nono on Debian if I am correct. We have some files in cvs like html
docs and icons and stuff which simply don't belong in site-packages. I found
no way to use distutils to copy files to appropiate (yet to be defined)
places in the file-system.

I guess it is a matter of policy.

If Gentoo wants to put everything in site-packages . So be it as long as it
works. GNUmed should be flexible eough to support this.

There is no use to discuss it being right or wrong here.

If it works. Fine. I am all for it. Debian is our reference platform. That
doesn't mean it is the only option. It just means it works and is tested on
this platform

> There are many packages that use distutils that are not python
> "add-ons." Actually I don't really know what you mean by "python
> add-on." And all python packages in gentoo go into
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages whether they use distutils or not.
what about html, png, jpeg, *mo ?
> Standard procedure is to put all the *.py stuff there and if an
> executable in the $PATH is needed a script is put in /usr/bin that
> runs python.

> > > Unfortunately it is for 0.1... If there were no significant changes to
> > > the build procedure then making the ebuild work for 0.2 is as simple as
> > > renaming the ebuild file.
> >
> > 0.2 is not released "just yet". Which would be the file you
> > used to generate the ebuild from ? We certainly continue to
> > have tarballs.
>
> The build is grabbing the following URL:
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/${PN}/GNUmed-client.${PV}.tgz
not upto date but that can be changed easily. Anyone taking care of the ebuild
and experiencing problems is welcome to talk to me about making sure we put
no obstacles in your way.

> where ${PN} is the packagename (determined from the ebuild file name),
> and ${PV} is the version. So:
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/gnumed/GNUmed-client.0.1.tgz
just use a recent tarball and see what happens. Maybe it even works :-)

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany