Re: [Gnumed-devel] what happened to the GNUmed developers ?

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] what happened to the GNUmed developers ?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:08:28 +0100

On Sunday 26 November 2006 22:35, Richard Terry wrote:

Richard,

Thanks for the input. Nice to hear a wide range of opinions. That's why I
started the thread. It make me rethink my position every year or so.

> Yeah, well, they all dropped out because of the fact that because karsten
> keeps such a iron hand on things, he is the only member of the team.
Must be because he was born behind the iron curtain :-)
Just kidding.

> IE, as I've crapped on about ad-nauseum, gnumed dosn't operate as a team of
> developers - people come, people leave once they realise that their idea's
> are not going to be implemented.
That is one point that comes up every now and then. During this year I have
seen many articles on this. All say listen to your users and give them what
they want. Hmm, that certainly is possible but make the developer a slave to
the user's wishes. The developer can only enslave himself. This has not
happened yet. Maybe because it is more attractive to scratch my own itch
rather than yours. Seems like a lot of people feel that way as well since I
can't see many contributors working for the user's wishes.
> We have had some much diverse talent drop
> away.
Do you think because it was too hard to be active or because we gave them the
feeling their (potential) contributions were useless.

How can this be changed. Is GNUmed perceived as being too closed despite my
best effort to make available more information than ever ?

> Gnumed will only move forward when those who really want to contribute fill
> defined niches according to their skills.

Is the concept of a test-area feasible ? Is it ok not to incorporate niche
contributions into CVS HEAD or is this even needed to show appreciation for
their contribution ? What about stability and security, maintenance of quick
hacks that would leak into CVS head ?

Would you be willing to actively head a GUI team which implements your ideas
as a coexistent client based on the existing middleware ? Would you be
willing to write a seperate cleint without the middleware if necessary ? What
would it take ? Is it enough for you to get a CVS branch which is left at
your will what to do with ? I would really like you to implement your
existing prototype into a working client.

Maybe people would see if your client is superior and help you make it even
better.

Regards,
Sebastian

--