Re: [Gnumed-devel] what happened to the GNUmed developers ?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] what happened to the GNUmed developers ?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:46:45 +0100

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 08:53:13PM +1100, Ian Haywood wrote:

> One problem is the high level of orthogonality between German and Australian
> requirements (or rather, requirements priorities),
While this may be true I still secretly consider it a
Japanes explanation (a Gentleman's excuse for us all for not
having succeeded better on this ;-)

But, again, it may just be true. And indeed you (Ian) were
the one who led med to realize that.

> Karsten, being German, has worked on his own priorities,
No doubt about it.

> My problem has been the internal structural design  (in this I blame as much
> my own decisions as anyone else's) which means 100s of lines of Python code
> to get even the simplest stuff done
This is very interesting. Can you please give an example, like:

I want the GUI to do "b". For that I'd have to ... and ... and ... .

I am positive I can tell where there's work involved and
where it's perhaps just a misconception. BTW, the business
objects have somewhat reduced their (over)complexity lately
based on your suggestions.

>, given the amount of time I have
> available to code, it's impossible to get any meaningful functionality (from
> the AU perspective).
I am not convinced but, hey, you know the details on your requirements.

> I think Karsten understands this problem,
Yes.

> but because
> his requirements are orders of magnitude simpler
Nope. Different, perhaps. I have, so far, only be accused of
having complex requirements (regarding structuring of data,
that is :-)

> he, undertandably, wants to stick with what we've got.
Not necessarily. It depends.

> I have some ideas around solutions, however these involve a total code
> revolution, particularly in middleware,
I am really interested in what you think needs to be done,
in private mail if you prefer.