archiving approach, was: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping on windows

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: archiving approach, was: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping on windows
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:28:25 +0200

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 08:17:14PM +0200, Ruthard Baudach wrote:

> Regarding archiving:

> Exploring the GNUmed archiving module I got the impression that you have
> to select a patient and scan then the documents for this patient. We tried
> this method, and it is far from efficient.
It depends on the workflow whether that's efficient or not.
It doesn't seem efficient for the workflow you describe,
yes.

> I found an article from
> 06.02.2002 in the archives of Deutsch Ă„rzteblatt featuring MedituxArchiv,
> obviously programmed by German GNUmed programmers, that describes exactly
> this procedure. Has there been any sound reason to change it in favor of
> scanning patient by patient?
Yes. The focus of the client interface is currrently on
supporting the doctor *in the consultation*. Due to the
plugin architecture it is quite possible to make GNUmed
support batch scanning better than now but that's not how it
currently is ...

However ... :-)

> At the moment we're batch scanning all paper documents and store them, all
> faxes after conversion in jpegs and all other electronic documentation in
> an intermediate directory.
> In a second step all fuiles in this directory are displayed, matched to a
> patient, renamed and stored in the patient's own directory.
Perhaps I have an option for you:

Do exactly as you describe above. But don't just sort by
patient but also by document (IOW all files for one document
into one directory). Then you can simply select the
corresponding patient in GNUmed and drag one of the document
directory onto the document import plugin to add all the
contained files to the page list ;-)  Maybe that's a tad
faster...