[Gnumed-devel] Observations & questions about GNUmed

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Observations & questions about GNUmed
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:06:01 -0700

Someone I believe to have a lot of postgres experience, who has been having a
look at GNUmed, welcomed me to pass his observations and questions along for
comment. Karsten had earlier responded about GNUmed not yet having many tests
of
its software but I don't know that the first two observations have been
previously submitted or commented on:

Begin forwarded message:

James [Jim],

This is primarily directed to you. I should probably get on the gnumed
developer
list...

Looking at the gnumed server code I find it both brilliant and questionable at
the same time.

1) The use of XMIN for detecting concurrent updates. In  general using any
system column from another piece of infrastructure is fragile. The semantics of
XMIN is part of postgresql it should not be part of gnumed. The postgresql
developers are free to change the semantics of XMIN as they wish. They are
saving 1 integer column, or timestamp column to do this properly. Is it worth
it
?

2) Using updateable views is also very "correct" however has anyone tested this
on a huge database ? All those foreign keys are wonderful, but will take
forever
to rebuild. I've seen foreign key checks on a restore take a few hours to run
through.

3) Where are the test cases ? Are there any regression tests ?