Re: [Gnumed-devel] Observations & questions about GNUmed

From: Dave Cramer
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Observations & questions about GNUmed
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 21:04:01 -0400

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 11:47:29PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

I've seen foreign key checks on a restore take a few hours to run
through.

Sure, but if the time to do that isn't there your
backup/fallback strategy needs rethinking. One might need a
replicated server if downtime is that critical.

Oh, and FKs can be dropped when a known-good (whatever that
means) dump is restored and restored afterwards. With the
help of a script this can be done automatically, even.

Karsten

That is more efficient, however postgresql will still check the integrity of the data. Now that I think of it, if you look at the dumps postgresql creates, it applies the FK constraint after inserting all the data.

Note: I'm not suggesting that you drop them, I'm just suggesting that sometimes compromises  must be made between the "right" answer and the practical solution.

Dave