Re: [Gnumed-devel] edifact

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] edifact
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 20:10:03 +0100

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 12:05:28AM +1100, syan tan wrote:

> the project wagtail several years ago on ozdoc had a python module
> that used popen3 to call openssl like a script, in order to implement
> pki .
> the setup was like most email programs
> e.g. an authority certificate store, used for verifying signed
> certificates, and then a store for public certificates , used to
> encrypt, and a pointer or a store of personal encrypted secret key
> files.
That's how I'd go about it, too, given a use case.

> I'm assuming gnumed's history of purifying borg behaviour, so instead
> of just reusing wagtail code, maintainers assimilate, then re-author.
We don't assimilate well-written, maintained 3rd party
python code (SANE, pyenchant, pyserial, wxpython,
mxDateTime, psycopg2, TWAIN, uno, Gnuplot). We only
assimilate if the wrapper starts being bigger/more complex
than the wrappee. For accessing openssl I'd use pyopenssl.

But, yeah, we are trying to keep our "own" code (the GNUmed
core, that is) cohesive.