[Gnumed-devel] More lab test result considerations: groupings

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] More lab test result considerations: groupings
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:53:09 -0800

The lab results in BC CA include the HL7 message segment OBR 004 "Universal Service ID" of the form "Test code^Test name" for example "LYTE^Electrolytes".

The thing to note is that a *single test code* can represent *multiple results* that will be received.

IOW this OBR can be followed, in the same message, by multiple OBX records for example

OBX|1|NM|2951-2^Sodium||140|mmol/L|135 - 145|N|||F|||20001101105900
OBX|2|NM|2823-3^Potassium||5.0|mmol/L|3.5 - 5.0|H|||F|||20001101105900

I expect the test code would be useful for grouping the display of results within GNUmed, think also "Liver ennzymes" or else "Hematology Panel" which would include Hemoglobin, White Blood cell count, platelets and there are also related tests like the white blood cell differential and peripheral blood film ("smear") which could be usefully grouped together under the broader classifier which is carried in the OBR 024 "Diagnostic Service Section" (Laboratory Section Codes) for example "HAEM", "CHEM", "MICRO".

I gather there is already a recognition of this but maybe just not yet provision in the schema, because under the schema specification for the table clin.test_type_unified there is a disclaimer

this is not intended to be used for aggregating semantically different test types into "profiles"

So we are probably talking here about these same profiles.

Even though I understand it will take some time for the display widgets to catch up with the potential display options, I am reluctant to "lose" data that will be extra work (if not impossible) to later repopulate.

Maybe this means we need, in clin.test_type

        fk_lab_section
        fk_test_profile