Re: [Gnumed-devel] More lab test result considerations: groupings

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] More lab test result considerations: groupings
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:14:25 +0100

> I agree that the service_section has (only) *limited* value. The
> section info is not *totally* valueless, it serves mainly if there is
> an issue with your test of interest, and you end up needing to know
> what section technician you will need to speak with,
That makes sense.

> If we reconsider, and suppose that we ordered tests whose information
> returned by the lab included (any of which could be resulted or pending)
>
>       OBR 004 Universal Service ID = YGT^Gamma GT
>       OBR 024 Diagnostic Service Section = CHEM4
>
>       OBR 004 Universal Service ID = ALT^ALT
>       OBR 024 Diagnostic Service Section = CHEM4
>
>       OBR 004 Universal Service ID = AST^AST
>       OBR 024 Diagnostic Service Section = CHEM4
>
>       OBR 004 Universal Service ID = HP^Hematology Panel
>       OBR 024 Diagnostic Service Section = HAEM1
>
>       OBR 004 Universal Service ID = PT^INR
>       OBR 024 Diagnostic Service Section = HAEM3
>
>       OBR 004 Universal Service ID = URC^URINE CULTURE
>       OBR 024 Diagnostic Service Section = MICRO3
>       OBR 025 Result Status  = P (pending)
>
>       OBR 004 Universal Service ID = ENDO^Endometrium Culture
>       OBR 024 Diagnostic Service Section = MICRO3
>       OBR 025 Result Status  = P (pending)

Now this is very interesting and we need to work from such examples:

What is returned as OBR (OBservation Request) has different levels
of granularity: GAMMA GT clearly isn't the same type of thing as a URINE
CULTURE. The latter being a panel of individual tests while the
former is a single-value test.

This requires that we do this:

clin.test_type

 name
 panel
 diagnostic_section

For "GAMMA GT" name and panel will contain the same value (because
that is what OBR returned as the group level). For "Leukocytes" name
will contain something like "LEUKO" but panel will contain
"Hematology Panel". IOW we will have to fake panel for single-OBX
results.

I wouldn't expect the test type <-> panel association to change much
per lab. Neither for diagnostic_section.

None of this touches on lab_request which, again, isn't really needed
so far -- we apparently don't *have* to equate lab_request with test_panel.
Which eventually seems better to me because lab_request really should
be a GNUmed-side thing.

It may mean we need to move the test status into test_result...