Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: DB localhost

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: DB localhost
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:28:55 +0200

On Sonntag 10 August 2008, Jerzy Luszawski wrote:
> Sunday 10 of August 2008 8:47:54 am Gour napisaƂ(a):
> > On GHC (Glasgow Haskell Compiler) there is discussion in regard to ghc
> > switching from darcs to git and nice point was made how strategy can
> > help boost the project. Here is the quote regarding the experience with
> > Xmonad window manager: "If anything has been learnt by Spencer and I
> > while working on xmonad, is:
> >     dependencies, dependencies, dependencies
> >
> > reduce these, and you gain eyeballs, and ultimately developers. Increase
> > these, and you end up isolated and marginalised."
> >

> > So, let's make GNUmed as accessible as possible ;)
>
> Good point! I would add also: keep dependencies on stable versions of all
> libraries (if possible). On Linux I would consider Debian lenny as stable
> enough.
>
> Jerzy

Thanks for staying with us. On Debian Lenny we provide packages that take care
of all dependencies. Even so with openSUSE.

There is *no* server *package* for Debian yet. The reason is simple.
Database !=Database server.

Imagine someone has postgresql installed for some application.Now GNUmed comes
along and installs its own version on top and even changes the config files.

We chose not to go down this route.

I understand you point very well. But the solution is different and simple.
For testing version we could package tgz which ships a preconfigured
postgresql server including the gnumed database and installs it in a
non-standard directory. This way you get a fully self contained working
GNUmed for testing.

But there will be problems.

1st) users will use this for their practice and will loose data when they
update. We cannot possibly support this as a stable solution.

2) users will have many postgres /GNumed combos flying around which is a
support nightmare.

I have two solutions.

1) Please anyone try to package the slef contained version
2) Please configure and provide/host a nice vmware image with GNUmed inside
3) Let us further discuss how to do this

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany