Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: users & dev lists

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: users & dev lists
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:35:52 +0200

On Sonntag 10 August 2008, Gour wrote:

> Hello James,
>
> James> So far, AFAIK, there are no "users" who are not also either
> James> developers, or at least interested to still receive the
> James> development mail.
>
> Heh, atm, I'm just 'user' in the sense I'm not contributing to the
> project.
>
> James> In addition, the project is still at such an early stage that at
> James> least some of the developers would want to know what users are
> James> running into, and what ideas the users would have.
>
> Having both users & devs list does not prevent someone to watch the two.
>
> :-)
>
> James> Your idea is a good one in principle and it is just a question of
> James> what is a suitable time. I think that as soon as three or more
> James> people found a good reason to want to share discussions that the
> James> -devel subscribers would rather be split off, we could create the
> James> list. At this stage, most people on -devel may rather not need to
> James> be on a second list so would prefer them collapsed.
>
> Hmm, by looking at the recent discussion on the list, I'd say that lot
> of traffic is for 'users' list - usage problems.
>
> If something comes up in the users-list like 'feature request', I'd say
> it has to go in the tracker, otherwise there is pretty good chance it
> will be forgotten,
>
> So, I'm still convinced that there is place for gnumed-users NOW and we
> have to make better use of bug tracker.
>
> I'm in the planning stage for some project and we have a mailing list +
> bug tracker (roundup) and everyone interested for some tracker issue can
> be put on the tracker's list and get informed what's going on.
>
> Launchpad also has nice facilities for those things - see
>
> https://launchpad.net/+tour/index
>
> So, my idea is to have gnumed-users for discussing usage of GNUmed and
> every feature request should go to the bug-tracker.
>
> Bug-reports (traces etc.) can go to the gnumed-devel list and then
> developers can open tickets on the tracker.
>
> Similarly, discussing development issues on gnumed-devel has to produce
> new tickets on the bug tracker as well.

Yes the bug tracker should be used more often. It is work to do this and noone
has kept up with it. Karsten cannot be bothered as it would take away too
much time.

Would you voluteer to watch the mailinglist and open tickets and solutions ?

As for the users I agree in principle but for now no developers are there that
mind user reports. This might change.

Power to you to build the community. We appreciate your effort.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany