Re: [Gnumed-devel] Open Office templates

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Open Office templates
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 16:07:40 +0200

Hello,

I'm glad this topic came out right now, because I'm trying to use OO templates
as a mean of getting nice printed reports (surgery reports, to be specific).

Saturday 30 August 2008 18:50:35 Karsten Hilbert napisaƂ(a):

> a) the currently implemented way of putting placeholder into the templates
> was a bit more work than even I wanted to go to great lengths just for
> demonstration :-)

> b) there aren't *that* many placeholders implemented yet (however, there are
> some and they are already in daily use by one of our deployed users)
I would prefer storing a list of needed placeholders with template. This way
the procedure requesting a template would know what placeholders it must
supply, and it would be easy to get the data from backend and feed it to the
placeholder handler. This would be more flexible than a large list of global
placeholders.
Example: I write operation report, and I just want to click "print" button to
print exactly this one report. All I need is a template and a way to pass data
to placeholder handler.
The amount of data is fixed and it can be fetched as one database query.
Even better,an SQL query with parameters can be stored with template in the
backend (similar to the string in _cmd_fetch_payload for EMR items).
What do you all think?

> The good news is that recently I found some Python code on the web which will
> enable us to have way more user-friendly placeholders in the OOo templates.
Could you post a link?

> One
> would then literally write in OOo:

> Dear $Title$ $Lastname$,

I don't find current method using OO fields too difficult or inconvenient, and
it is certainly more foolproof than plain text placeholders. You do not create
templates every day, do you?

Regards,
Jerzy Luszawski