Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Debian lenny required for client 0.2.8.10-1 ??

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Debian lenny required for client 0.2.8.10-1 ??
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 08:29:36 +0200

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:02:59AM +0200, Jerzy Luszawski wrote:

> BTW: I think the dependencies need revision! This may need separate thread
> perhaps or a ticket at launchpad.

> package manager wants to INSTALL following NEW PACKAGES:
> ---------------------
>   gnumed-client gnumed-common gnumed-doc gnuplot gnuplot-nox gnuplot-x11
>   konsolekalendar libenchant1c2a libwxbase2.6-0 libwxgtk2.6-0 python-enchant
>   python-gnuplot python-numeric python-wxgtk2.6
> ----------------------
> Except for gnumed-*, all others are not necessary to run Gnumed from tarball.

You do of course need the wxgtk packages.

        apt-cache show gnumed-client

says:

 Package: gnumed-client
 Maintainer: Debian-Med Packaging Team <address@hidden>
 Version: 0.2.8.10-1
 Replaces: gnumed-bmi, gnumed-drugdisplay, gnumed-meddocs, gnumed-plugincommon,
gnumed-pregcalc, gnumed-snellen, gnumed-xdtviewer
 Conflicts: gnumed-bmi, gnumed-drugdisplay, gnumed-meddocs,
gnumed-plugincommon, gnumed-pregcalc, gnumed-snellen, gnumed-xdtviewer

old stuff from 0.1, outdated

 Depends: python (>= 2.3), python-support (>= 0.7.1), python-wxgtk2.6, debconf
(>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, file, gnumed-common (= 0.2.8.10-1), gnumed-doc (=
0.2.8.10-1), python-enchant, hunspell | aspell | ispell | myspell-dictionary |
hspell, konsolekalendar, python-gnuplot

While file, spelling and gnuplot are not strictly necessary
I wonder why one would want to miss out on that
functionality. If you double-check the code that they are
optional we can technically move them to Recommends. Not
that I think it makes sense.

 Recommends: xsane, extract, ntp | ntpdate, aeskulap | amide | xmedcon,
iceweasel | www-browser, openoffice.org-writer, python-uno

Those are rather larger packages which will be installed
depending on the package manager's preferences.

 Suggests: korganizer, libchipcard3-tools | libchipcard-tools

Those are only suggested.

> Their usage depends on which modules are loaded. Maybe
> they should become 'recommended'?

Before we do that we should double-check that the code can
actually deal with them missing.

> Note python-wxgtk2.6. This can make problems. I have
> python-wxgtk installed - but newer version: 2.8. Installing
> older version is probably a bad idea in this case. The
> problem is that python-wxgtk2.6 and python-wxgtk2.8 are
> separate packages, not consequtive versions of the same
> package.

That should be improved, yes.