Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: proposal for 'Downloads' wiki page

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: proposal for 'Downloads' wiki page
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 13:03:51 -0700

On 8-Sep-08, at 11:11 AM, Gour wrote:

I'd put direct wording: GNUmed-0.31 with the link to

http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/0.3/GNUmed-client.0.3.1.tgz

Being done. I do note at

        http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/

that there exist there

        GNUmed-client.latest.tgz

which seems to correctly match

        http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/0.3/GNUmed-client.0.3.1.tgz

however /client/ also contains

        GNUmed-client.latest.exe

which seems to correspond to .exe version 0.3.0 and not 0.3.1

I am just wondering... if it is manual work and therefore subject to error to point people to extra copies that are named "latest" is there anything lost by pointing people directly to the newest specifically-named versions, at least that way there will be no risk of them being named "latest" when they are not, in fact, "latest".

I aim to regularly update the links from Download as soon as I am advised/aware of a new release.

Can we get rid of the copies called "latest" or are they needed for something scripted like the update-checker?