Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: proposal for 'Downloads' wiki page

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: proposal for 'Downloads' wiki page
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:37:50 +0200

> Being done. I do note at
>
>       http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/
>
> that there exist there
>
>       GNUmed-client.latest.tgz
>
> which seems to correctly match
>
>       http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/0.3/GNUmed-client.0.3.1.tgz

Whenever I upload a new release I update the link. The link
points to the latest released tarball.

> however /client/ also contains
>
>       GNUmed-client.latest.exe
>
> which seems to correspond to .exe version 0.3.0 and not 0.3.1

The .exe, however, is a "deb" for Windows. Sebastian uploads that
when it is ready. That means it will be behind slightly in terms of
version numbers. Nevertheless it always points to the latest Windows
release.

> I aim to regularly update the links from Download as soon as I am
> advised/aware of a new release.
Good to know.

> Can we get rid of the copies called "latest" or are they needed for
> something scripted like the update-checker?
No the update checker reads a file with explicit version numbers. I am not
aware of
any scripting depending on .latest, so, yes we could get rid of it. It is,
however, best practice
from ye olde days when SimTel was still the craze and FTP ruled the download
world.