Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed packaging help needed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed packaging help needed
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:12:33 +0100

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 02:34:51PM +0100, RKI Andreas wrote:

>> That is bullshit unless you actively remove things from the
>> tarball in which case you'd need different gnumed-server
>> packages for bootstrapping and upgrading. You can upgrade to
>> any version between what-I-have and latest-in-the-tarball.
>
> Ahh, you mean that the SQL code contained in the tarball
> enables installing server versions < the latest version.
Yes, because upgrading and bootstrapping really is nearly
the same thing.

To go from nil to v4:

        bootstrap v2
        upgrade v2 to v3
        upgrade v3 to v4

To go from v2 to v4:

        upgrade v2 to v3
        upgrade v3 to v4

> OK.  If you ask me I would ask the user: Do you want to
> upgrade / install the latest version? [Yes/No]  If the
> answer is different from Yes I would notify the user that
> he should continue from here manually.
Sounds reasonable. That still leaves the question what to do
with more than one source database being available. Say,
package contains v4 as latest and machine has v2 and v3.
Which one does the user want to upgrade from ? Again, a
decision needs to be taken by the user.

>> Of course, it may be another reasonable design decision to
>> only support upgrading to the latest version in the tarball
>> which then needs to be clearly documented again.
>
> IMHO this is what I wrote above.
Agree.