Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed packaging help needed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed packaging help needed
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 17:48:53 +0100

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 05:28:47PM +0100, Florian Hubold wrote:

> I'll also have a question on the new v10 server, what would be the
> correct way to enable passwordless
> (or blank password, which comes out the same in the end) bootstrapping?
> As i had asked that for
> v9 server and Karsten told me to edit all .conf files from
> interactive=yes to interactive=no.
> This doesn't work with v10, the bootstrapping script complains about not
> finding the password for gm-dbo database user.

Previously we simply assumed a '' blank password for gm-dbo
if none was set in the conf file or given interactively on
the terminal. That was unacceptable from a security point of
view.

The bootstrapper is now written such that it does not
actually need the gm-dbo password -- except for *creating*
gm-dbo. So, one either needs to explicitely set it in the
conf-file or make sure gm-dbo already exists (say, because
gnumed_v9 already existed).

This also hints at a trick -- just create gm-dbo by other
means making sure it's in all the right groups and the
bootstrapper won't need a password ;-)

> You could ask some
> maintainers of the distributions in question
> for inclusion of gnumed into these distributions repositories.
> I did this for mandriva a long time ago, for gnumed-server they refused
> (as a package in general shouldn't require/install a server-type package per
> mandriva policy)

Can you elaborate on that a bit ?  What is the reasoning ?