[Gnumed-devel] Re: Sent out emails to other EMR Groups

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Sent out emails to other EMR Groups
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 16:00:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Greg Caulton wrote:

I agree a generic linux distribution packaged with vertical apps may be a hard
sell.

I think there is merit to preconfigure a slew of the open source applications
for the healthcare
community to make it easy for them to load a distribution and then play with
each application.

Well, that's the idea about using Debian Med as a service provider in medical
care I expressed in several talks:

  German:
    http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/200705_ltb/index_de.html
    --> here you might want to read specifically
        http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/200705_ltb/paper/x476.html
  English:
    http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/200307_ltk/index_en.html#page35

It would be nice to show that we can play better together than commercial
systems.  Each of the
systems are fairly unique in their appeal to different users and we should try
to complement each
other.

Brotay can provide our own Debian packaging resources - in fact Cam has already
setup a few DVDs that
are plug and play distributions ready out the box with PatientOS.

IMHO the best way to approach this is to push everything to Debian first (even
if this might be harder than just provide a private deb archive) and than use
a (rebranded) Debian stripped down to your personal purpose.  Just note:
Creating
an archive of files ending with the magical ".deb" extension that can be handled
by dpkg / apt is quite cheap.  The goal should be to create real packages that
are policy compliant, are sitting in a well known repository (www.debian.org
and mirrors), are supported by a bug tracking system, featuring a security team
which cares for the code in case of problem, etc.  You (as in a service
provider)
get this for free and you are just saving resources of you take the initial
hurdle
to push your package to the official Debian mirror.

The Debian Med team exists to help you in doing so.  It has proven to work in
the
case of GNUmed and there is no reason to let this project be the only one.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de